All Hunter Douglas window coverings are made for a lifetime of wear-resistant, trouble-free performance. Many shade fabrics are specially treated to repel dust and dirt.
Please refer to the CARE AND CLEANING CHART for the correct recommendations for your Window Fashions products. For additional care and maintenance recommendations, please call us at (02) 2504 8777.
Regular dusting maintains a like-new appearance of most blinds, shades, shadings and sheers.
For deeper cleaning, vacuum gently with a brush attachment of any vacuum cleaner. Most products may be vacuumed using a vertical stroke, however do not use a brush attachment with Luminette® Privacy Sheers.
Compressed air or hair dryer (non-heat setting). Use to blow dust off selected window coverings.
Spot-clean shades and blinds with a soft cloth or sponge moistened with lukewarm water. Add mild detergent if needed. Blot gently to avoid creasing or damaging the fabric. Rubbing can damage fabrics. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
4. Stain-finished wood blinds.
Water may damage surface, so use lemon oil or wood preservative to clean.
5. Aluminum venetian blinds.
Use an over-the-counter blind cleaner with a soft cloth.
Steaming can be done to remove wrinkles from some fabrics. A hand-held travel size steamer that provides continuous steam is best. Heavy-duty steamers are not recommended.
To ensure that you have a "thoroughly satisfying experience" when purchasing Hunter Douglas window fashions, the following "helpful hints" have been outlined by product category for your use.
- Clean using a dry and soft feather duster, clean cloth, dust cloth or dusting mitt. A vacuum with the soft brush attachment can also be used.
- Protect all fine wood products from exposure to steam or high moisture areas, rain or outside irrigation systems to ensure their long life.
- When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the wood finish by splattering cleaner.
- Spot-cleaning with fabric cleaning wipes found at your grocery store is recommended for all tapes. These will typically not leave a stain or discolor the tapes. We suggest a cleaning test on the underneath side of the blind where the tape wraps around the bottom rail where any stain would be the least visible.
- 100% polyester tapes can be spot-cleaned with cool distilled water using a clean white cloth. Support the trim from behind using another clean cloth that is dry. Use a gentle blotting action to clean the spot or soiled area. Rinse by blotting with clean distilled water. Let air dry. A gentle detergent can also be used on the 100% polyester trims. Spot-cleaning may result in cleaner areas.
- If the tape is shiny or has a luster, DO NOT USE WATER. It is most likely rayon or acetate. The result will be a water stain. Wipes are the best for all fiber contents.
Fabric Shades, Shadings or Louvers
- Do not use magnetic cleaners such as a dusting mitt on light dimming fabrics. This will damage the light dimming backing.
- When cleaning any window, spray glass cleaner on a cloth rather than spraying directly on the window. This will prevent damage to the fabrics by splattering cleaner.
- While some fabric window covering products may seem perfect for an outdoor setting, all are recommended for indoor use only.
- Do not hand wash The Matisse Collection fabric-covered headrail. Lightly dust with a clean dry cloth only.